INTERMITTENT ATTACKS OF PSYCHOTIC EPISODES
Please say YES or NO
I have had beliefs that have not been shared by others YES
I think that people don’t like me and are against me NO
People say I misinterpret their behaviour YES
1. Have you experienced any other symptoms of psychosis that have not been mentioned above?
I have never experienced psychosis. I take great issue with the above 3 yes or no questions. To say that I have beliefs that others do not share is just a fact of life and as humans we are sometimes guilty of misinterpretation. This shouldn’t mean psychosis. I do feel that the author of this workbook means “strange” beliefs and “very far off” misinterpretations of behaviour but you would not know this by the wording of the questions.
2. Would you say you have ever experienced paranoid ideation?
No I haven’t.
3. Have you ever felt a bit ‘out of it’ like you are daydreaming or felt like you are just going through the motions or ‘running on automatic’?
Not often. When it does happen it feels very numbing and that’s when I know I’ve reached my max and I need to find a way to calm down.
IMPULSIVE ACTION PATTERNS
Please say YES or NO
I binge eat NO
I have sped fast in cars NO
I have misused illicit drugs YES
I have misused alcohol YES
I have had many casual sexual relationships YES
I overspend and have huge debts NO
I have gambled a lot of money NO
4. Are there any other impulsive behaviours not mentioned that you have experienced?
I used to steal when I wanted something. I don’t know….I don’t really see it as being impulsive. These are all things that I don’t to do, I don’t feel bad for doing and majority was at its peak during my teens. Sex was the “worst” for me and one that I could easily slip back into but I don’t. I think that by having casual sex in the category is impulsive self destructive behaviours is to not acknowledge that sex can be fun and enjoyable with whoever you want, as much as you want.
5. How do these above behaviours help you cope?
Take your mind off things. The drugs and alcohol usually put you in a “fun” atmosphere and changes your brain so you just don’t care (sometimes it doesn’t work or makes it worse). The sex for me was too feel better about myself, so I knew I was worth it but, fuck, just have fun!
Most people are able to control their impulses and delay immediate gratification because they are aware of long term consequences for example:
- weight gain
- unplanned pregnancies
- sexually transmitted diseases
- motor car accidents
- physical fights
- physical conditions, for example, liver problems
- debt collectors
- criminal record
6. Have you suffered from some of the above consequences due to your impulsive behaviour?
Overall I just got in trouble with my parents or friends.
Next: Session 3 Activities Part 4