For those of you who have not read 1984 (I’m probably one of the few who hasn’t) this is a brief description of Oceania.
- There is one ruling party that controls EVERYTHING.
- If you are not with the Party then you are an enemy of the Party and you will die at some point.
- History is erased and/changed to suit the current needs of the Party.
- Your day is scheduled for your “enjoyment”.
- Everyone wears similar clothing (overalls).
- There are telescreens basically everywhere which provide you with Party programming.
- The telescreens can see and hear everything you say (and remember they are everywhere).
- Your country’s enemy may change but you will always HATE that enemy.
- A new language is created to help further control thoughts.
- There are also Thought Police just in case.
- Sex is to be avoided and only do be done to create children (sex is a duty to the Party).
- All of this is done to keep you safe and happy!
We can all look at that list and say, “why the hell would I not rebel against against that?!?!” Well, easy, because what if you grew up in it? That’s the scenario I’m talking about. If all you knew was this reality would you love it or hate it?
I personally think I may end up going along with it. Unless I have something in my life to tell me that I should want to live a different way I don’t see why I would begin to think that.
I could be completely wrong and turn out to be leader of the Brotherhood! It’s hard to say. I currently live in a society that supports questioning dominant ideologies and promotes new ideas. If I lived in a world that killed you when you did that then maybe I wouldn’t be any force of change.
I hope I never have to find out!
Thought: I have occasional Restless Leg. I don’t like calling it a syndrome for some reason. I’ve been trying to figure out why lately because it’s been especially irritating. All the information I’m finding is not helping! All I’m getting is that doctor’s don’t know what causes it but I do know that I shouldn’t have it! I’m too young! The information is telling me that this should be happening to me, if ever, in my 40′s on! Other research, but very limited in availability, says that psychiatric medication can cause restless leg. It’s akathesia. How could this be possible? Well, because psych meds are known to cause restless leg. I first began experiencing restless leg a a month or two after I began taking Prozac and it’s been coming and going ever since. What really bothers me about this is I haven’t been on psych meds for about 5 years! This means that the medication could have caused neurological damage to my brain which is causing my legs to feel like the need to be running! I can’t even say genetics for sure (another reason they’re saying young people can have it) because those in my family who have restless leg are/have been on psych meds! I can deal with it. It doesn’t happen all the time and it’s my que that I need to go to bed. It’s the WHY that’s bothering me. I think it was the psych meds.