I may not be a fan of psychiatric drugs but I do like therapy (so long as it’s a good therapist). Here is a list of 7 things people assume about therapy that are irritating to those of us who have experience with it.
1. “Therapists just agree with everything you say to make you feel better about your life.”
I have had counsellors call me out on distorted thinking or when I am closing myself off. I don’t want them to agree with me all the time! That won’t get me anywhere and that means they’re not doing their job.
2. “Your therapist must think I’m a horrible person because of all the things you say about me.”
My counsellors have actually pointed out to me that something I had said might have triggered an undesirable response in someone. They’re not against anyone. I am their client though so their number one concern is me.
3. “Isn’t therapy just talking about how terrible your childhood was and blaming your parents for everything wrong with your life?”
My parents never did anything wrong and I have enough issues in the present that I don’t need to go back into the past!
4. “Do you lay on a long couch and cry?”
I have never lay on a couch. I cry sitting in a chair or I don’t cry at all.
5. “Why not talk to your friends and family instead of a stranger?”
Friends and family are biased. Friends and family don’t always have the resources and tools you need.
6. “But the fact that you’re paying her means she has to pretend to care about you.”
I have never paid for a counsellor.
7. “Is therapy really worth it?”
That is entirely up to you. For me it has been.
What are some questions you’ve heard about therapy?